Make sure you subscribe to our YouTube Channel for future episodes and video clips.
On this episode, we talked about some of the latest happenings on social media platforms, answered a listener question, talked about free SEO tools to use and went deep into the Batman universe.
Please note that during the recording of this episode, the temperature was hitting the mid 30s, which made our recording room nice and toasty. The air-conditioner goes on and off, adding a nice, gentle breeze sound in the background. It's not you. It's us.
- Twitter rolled out #280characters today. We talked about what happened during the trial period, and the public backlash over the banning of Rose McGowan's account.
- Snapchat took a beating on the stock market during Q3, and they're planning to switch things up by making the app easier to use and introducing an algorithm.
- How people are consuming more video content and skimming the rest.
- Chatbots are taking over! Facebook are trialing a Facebook Messenger plugin for your website, meaning that your customers can talk directly to your chatbot. Will bots take over email marketing and human to human customer service?
- Facebook are increasing the paid posts in your pages feed, meaning that businesses that rely on an organic strategy are in a bit of trouble. We share tips on what you can do to get on top of this, with a limited budget.
- We answer a listener question: I have got a very limited budget, so I'm going to have to do some digital marketing myself but I need guidance. How can I break down what I can do myself and what I should pay for?
- A review of free SEO tools you can use to create your own on-page SEO strategy, leading into off-site. We talk tools for looking for keywords, checking out technical SEO issues and backlinks.
- We talked Tekken, Terminator, Aliens and every aspect of the Batman universe. Just because.
Here are all the articles, people and tools we mentioned during this episode:
The changes at Twitter
- Tweeting in 280 Characters? Now You Can Do It Too - The New York Times
- "I will NEVER use 280 characters nor will I favorite or retweet a tweet with them. THIS IS MY FIGHT SONG" - @chrissyteigen
- Rose McGowan temporarily blocked from Twitter after Weinstein tweets - The Verge
- Rogue Twitter Employee Briefly Shuts Down Trump's Account - The New York Times
Can Snapchat be saved?
- Snapchat share price craters on weak revenu and user growth in Q3 2017 - Techcrunch
- Snap Inc - MarketWatch
- Spiegel hopes to save Snapchat with an algorithmic feed - Techcrunch
- In April, I implored Snapchat to move to an algorithmically sorted Stories feed to make it easier for people to find their best friends and things they care about, instead of using the reverse-chronological feed that shows what happens to have been posted most recently. -Techcrunch
- Content that people consume thoroughly and skim - HubSpot Research
- 14 celebrities who posted Photoshopped pictures of themselves on Instagram - Business Insider
Facebook Messenger site plugin
- Facebook Messenger plugin enables cross-platform customer service - engadget
- Facebook Messenger hits 1.2 billion - David Marcus, head of Messenger at Facebook
- Get notified when the Messenger customer chat plugin is available - Facebook
- The secret language of chatbots - Techcrunch
- Apple unveils Business Chat, which brings customer service and shopping into iMessage - Techcrunch
The decline of organic reach on Facebook
- Facebook tests removing organic Page posts from News Feed - MarketingLand
- Decoding the Facebook Algorithm: A Fully Up-toDate List of the Algorithm Factors and Changes - Buffer
- Do you even need a website? - Bam Creative